Nationwide blackout is imminent as electricity workers begin indefinite strike this morning.
The industrial action is declared under the aegis of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE)
The union said the decision to down tools remained the only option since there was no dialogue with the Federal Government to resolve the lingering industrial crisis in the sector.
Assistant Secretary-General of NUEE Anthony Sule said the 21-day ultimatum given to Minister of Power Saleh Mamman expired at midnight on Tuesday.
Sule, in a statement issued in Jos, the Plateau State capital, said the union had no option but to commence an indefinite strike.
The statement said: “The ministry of power has failed to resolve some issues affecting members of the union since 2013 when the power sector was privatized especially issues that with the over 2,000 disengaged former PHCN workers and their pay off.”
Some of the unresolved issues are illegal transfer of union properties to power investors and the alleged refusal by some distribution companies (DisCos) to remit deducted contributory pension of their members of staff to pension managers.
He added that these issues were contained in a memo to the minister dated 7th November 2019.
Last night, General Secretary of NUEE Joe Ajaero said it was regrettable that the Ministry of Power failed to respond positively to the strike notice.
Ajaero said the only response from the ministry was the letter sent to the union on the November 18. He said tin the letter, the minister assured the union that something would be done immediately he settled down.
He said after waiting, the union again wrote the minister on the December 6 but up till yesterday, nothing had been done.
“The strike letter was sent to the Ministry of Power and there was one letter they wrote, saying the minister is not in the country and that he is still studying the situation. They said the minister would look into everything, that is all,” he added.