It must have been a horrible weekend for the Everton striker Wayne Rooney after been trash by the Red Devils 4-0 over the weekend and also been banned from the roads for two years as a result of drink-driving.
The former England striker was charged after being stopped while driving a black Volkswagen Beetle in Wilmslow, Cheshire, at 2am on September 1.
The 31-year-old – wearing his wedding ring – made no comment as he was confronted by a media scrum outside Stockport Magistrates’ Court this morning.
The defence said Rooney voluntarily stopped his car, but an aggravating factor is that there was a passenger in the vehicle with him.
The Volkswagen belonged to a woman he had met in the Bubble Room bar in Alderley Edge on a night out.
Rooney’s lawyer Michael Rainford said the footballer admitted he has let himself, his family and his fans down. The lawyer added that Rooney “wishes to express remorse” over the incident.
He added: “He is a young man of many fine qualities.”
Everton are likely to fine him two weeks wages, the court heard.
District Judge Temperley handed Rooney a two-year driving ban, 100 hours unpaid work, £85 costs and an £85 victim surcharge.
The judge said: “I accept your remorse is genuine. I accept the effects this has had in you and your family.”
Rooney has been married to his high-school sweetheart Coleen since 2008 and they have three children together.
Mrs Rooney recently announced she is pregnant with their fourth child.
Rooney released a statement after pleading guilty.
He said: “Following today’s court hearing I want publicly to apologise for my unforgivable lack of judgement in driving while over the legal limit.
“It was completely wrong. “I have already said sorry to my family, my manager and chairman and everyone at Everton FC.
“Now I want to apologise to all the fans and everyone else who has followed and supported me throughout my career.
“Of course I accept the sentence of the court and hope that I can make some amends through my community service.”
It will cost not less than N1 trillion to rebuild Lagos State following last week’s massive destruction of public assets,...